May 6, 2009

Half-marathon man

I'm six weeks into the training plan for my first marathon - the Missoula Marathon on July 12 - and so far, so good. If only the weather were better.

Distancewise, I'm a little more than halfway there. Last week, I did my long run of 13 miles in about one hour, 50 minutes with snow falling the whole way. This week, it was 14 miles in about two hours, the final three miles into a cold downpour.

Actually, it's not that bad considering the alternative: the treadmill in the same dingy, gray basement room at work that houses the building's sump pump. After running 10 miles down there one night, I decided that mentally I couldn't do my long run on a machine anymore.

I've been steadily adding a mile a week to my long run, but that's about to change as I'm scheduled for 16 next week. And my four short runs a week are increasing to the five- to six- mile range from three to four miles.

There have been a few minor strains and pains as I adjust to the increased mileage - I had to take a few days off at one point after running too hard the week before - but my body seems to be adjusting and is recovering quicker now.

Check back for more progress reports, and I'll see you at the finish line.