March 8, 2009

Marathon man

About 3 1/2 years ago, I had a bad slip on a trail in the Swan Range and managed to tear my quadriceps just above my right knee - my first serious injury since breaking my arms as a youth.

At the time, it didn't seem to hurt and I made it out of the woods without trouble. It wasn't until a couple of days later when the pain set in - when I went to the doctor I couldn't bend my leg, couldn't bear weight on it and couldn't go up or down stairs.

The prescription for my recovery was two months of physical and ultrasound therapy. It started with a lot of stretching and resistance band work. Later, I moved onto a stationary bike, then an elliptical machine. Eventually, I started jogging on a treadmill and got back into running regularly for the first time since high school, when I competed on the track and cross-country teams.

In the past few years, I've kept it up, running on the treadmill in the basement at work after my shift or in the morning on the riverfront trails or at the Pattee Canyon National Recreation Area. I've dropped 20 pounds, run in a few races and am hiking stronger than ever.

For a few weeks now, I've been mulling over the idea of entering the Missoula Marathon. This weekend, after consulting with a trainer friend, I decided to go ahead and try it - just to say I did it.

We're going to set up a training program so I can do this as safely as possible and fit it in around my work schedule, dog walking and weekend hiking with Jen.

As with all of our adventures, I'll be posting updates on my progress here. And if all goes to plan, I'll be crossing the finish line at Front Street and Higgins Avenue on Sunday, July 12.