January 4, 2009

First foray of '09

lubrecht_forest_20090104_081

Today, we went on our first adventure of the new year - cross-country skiing in the Lubrecht Experimental Forest near Greenough, east of Missoula.

After an icy drive up the Blackfoot River corridor, we set out on a dog-friendly trail under sunny skies. At the end of the day, we had covered 6.4 miles and racked up one high-speed face-plant (Jen) and one back flop as a result of showing off (me).

As usual, there are plenty of photos and a video (below). And even though I was behind the camera, I managed to get some footage of myself - look for red skis me, shadow me and me me.

Distance: 6.4-mile loop. (Variety of loops available, from 1 mile to 8.3 miles.)

Trailhead: From Missoula, drive 5 miles east on Interstate 90 to Bonner, then 26 miles east on Highway 200 to the University of Montana's Lubrecht Experimental Forest facilities.